Friday, July 30, 2010

Meals and Recipes

We have been making a concerted effort to NOT eat out as much this summer.  And I really want to use up all the items in the pantry this summer. Put those  reasons together and we have been coming up with some new and interesting meals. 

CIMG4625

I made up a couple of those Louisiana brand Creole and Cajun mixes.  Boy did they come out good.  The sauces are so tasty. I’ll make sure to buy more of those mixes when we get down to Louisiana this winter.

 

CIMG4624

 

 

 

 

 

CIMG4633

Then I took a shortcut in making my normal homemade clam chowder recipe by just doctoring up a can of Trader Joe’s clam chowder with more onion, celery, potatoes and extra clams. That came out grand!!!

CIMG4629

I even went through my recipe box and cleaned out those recipe cards I knew I never would make and pulled out some recipes I remember eating at friends and got the recipes to and decided to make them up. One was for a chili relleno bake. It was so easy to make and tasted very good. It comes out like a quiche. Jim had three helpings. Here’s the recipe:

Chili Relleno Bake

1 pd ground beef or half sausage
1 c onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 x 4 oz can whole green chilies
2 c sharp cheese, shredded
4 eggs
1/4 c flour
1 1/2 c milk
Hot sauce to taste

Sauté beef, onion and garlic until done. Drain fat. Line 13 x 9 pan with half the chilies. Top with 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add the meat mixture and top with remaining chilies; set aside. Beat together eggs and flour until smooth; add milk and hot sauce.  Blend well.  Pour the egg mixture over casserole.  Bake uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes until knife inserted of center comes out clean. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
****************************************

Recently we saw an episode of “Guy’s Big Bite” which featured a Mac and Cheese recipe from Wilson’s Holy Smoked BBQ in Fairfield, Connecticut.  It had eggs in it and looked interesting, so last night I made it as a side dish to go along with a pork tenderloin I roasted. Oh, my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!  No more will I be making my recipe for homemade Mac and Cheese, that I made with a white sauce.  This restaurant recipe was wonderful and so easy to make.  So here is that recipe also.  Please try it and let me know what you think.

Mac and Cheese

2 c uncooked macaroni
2 eggs, beaten
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 c butter melted
2 c shredded cheese

Cook macs just till al dente, drain and rinse in cold water.  Mix eggs, evap milk, melted butter and salt and pepper with 1 1/2 cups cheese. Place in greased 8x8 pan.  Put rest of cheese on top and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Well, that’s the end of the Chapman cooking class (ha-ha) for today.  Come back tomorrow and see what’s next!

Remember, you are loved.

1 comment:

  1. Just what I love...a recipe exchange with pictures to boot! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.