Thursday, April 17, 2014

Salai’s Weaving

Been busy the last few days here in Alamosa. 

Here’s a photo I took of the moon Tuesday night.  It was very low in the sky and very pretty.

DSCN3303

Monday found me here in time to attend the meeting of Book Babes Book Club, which I’ve been a member of for a long time before going RVing.  I try to go to a couple of meetings when we return for the summer.  We usually meet at a local restaurant, this time at Nino’s.

We were reading An Embarrassment of Mangoes by Ann Vanderhoof.  It’s about a young couple who decide to buy a sailboat and travel from Toronto to the Caribbean for two years.  The similarities to going RVing are very close.  I had a couple of days to get the e-book and read it before our meeting, so I spent the weekend mostly reading, especially during our drive to Santa Fe and back on Sunday.  Discussing the book brought up many questions from the group about how we live in such a small space and close quarters….I told them we can cook anything in our four foot kitchen that can be cooked in a large gourmet kitchen…one time Jim and I served prime rib dinner to 12 people in our RV during a summer rainstorm.

Tuesday I did too much…at nearly 72 I’ve got to remember I shouldn’t try to do all the household things all in one day.  I changed the sheets on the bed, went to the laundromat and did two weeks of laundry, and THEN went grocery shopping.  By the time I got all the laundry and groceries put away I was pooped.

Wednesday I went to lunch to Chili’s with my BFF, Salai, to catch-up since last September.  Salai is a weaver among other things (like a spinner, knitter, horsewoman, chicken raiser and professional librarian) and she brought her latest project off her loom.  Isn’t this lovely?  It’s called a Twill pattern and is very soft and supple. Salai said it was her “practice” piece and she was going to cut it up and make mats out of it.  I (along with others) told her to fringe the other edge and use it as a shawl).

DSCN3304 DSCN3305 DSCN3307

DSCN3308

You know me, can’t eat out and not take a photo

DSCN3310
Salai’s Chicken Quesadilla and Salad
DSCN3311
My Santa Fe Chicken Salad

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in the high desert mountains…..and then look what I saw when I woke up this morning.

DSCN3312

That’s twice in ten days that we’ve awoke to snow since we’ve been back to Alamosa!!!  OK, Jim, we can come back early next year for 9 Health Fair and to do our taxes…..BUT we’re leaving immediately afterwards.  April in Colorado is too unpredictable…second snowiest month.  I know this has been a cold winter everywhere, and I’ve been cold since last September and want warmth!!! 

See you tomorrow…..you are loved!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Yep, April in the high country is always a weather gamble. We've had the same 2 dustings of snow over here in South Fork. The snow is a bit easier to take when its 60 and sunny, about 4 hours later.
    Hey I was wondering if you knew Eppie Archuleta, the famous weaver who died recently. I met her at the Santa Fe artist market many years ago. Such a sweet lady. She lived up here in La Jara for a while, was best known in Santa Fe, and had one of her works hanging in the Smithsonian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I knew about Eppie Archuleta's passing. I worked with Eppie's daughter, Linda, at K-Mart in Alamosa for a number of years. Ms. Archuleta was an amazing lady and artist. She was declared a Naitonal Treasure. Jim, let's get together this summer while we are up in South Fork camping. We won't be working this summer so we'll be free anytime except when my Jim is fishing ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peeuuuu, snow. We are rolling slowly in a northerly direction. Make that the last one of those...

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.