Saturday, January 11, 2014

Foggy with Spaghetti

I’ve been in fog before but it usually burns off by 10 a.m. but not here.  We woke up to fog and it actually lasted all day even till we went to bed last night. Something new for me.

DSCN1765       DSCN1767

We did the boring chore of washing clothes and than took a little ride down Highway 98 towards Panama City, but not much to see so we came back.

After stopping at Publix I made spaghetti.  This was the first time I have used San Marzano tomatoes making the sauce from scratch.  All the cooks on TV always use San Marzano tomatoes when they make Italian foods, and many insist it’s the only brand to use. I remember paying $5.69 for this 28 oz. can.  Now that is expensive, but I thought I’d give it one try. 

Following instructions for making a simple sauce I’ve seen on TV, I sautéed onions and garlic, added some Italian seasoning,  smushed the tomatoes with my hand and simmered it with links of browned Italian sausages.  The resulting sauce was tasty but I don’t think I’d pay that extra money again for San Marzano canned tomatoes. We had Charles over for dinner and he liked it.

DSCN1768        DSCN1769

I’ll stick with Hunts tomatoes if I make spaghetti from scratch again …. but probably will stick with Prego or Giada Spaghetti Sauce from Target.  I really like Giada de Laurentes’s sauce.

Rain started about midnight and it rained all night and is raining right now and suppose to continue to rain till at least noon.  Oh, my, there goes rolling thunder….oops, there goes Poncho to hide under the covers of the bed.  Guess we’ll just hibernate inside today.

Remember, you are loved.

3 comments:

  1. I love making homemade spaghetti sauce when I make meatballs. Glad to know the expensive tomatoes don't really make a difference. I like Trader Joe pasta sauce or any sauce where the first ingredient is tomatoes rather than puree. Then I feel it is really almost as good as homemade yet tons easier. Sad you leave Betty's right when we arrive...but alas maybe you will get caught in the web at least one more day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that you are having such crappy weather. Hopefully it will clear out soon and you can enjoy your time down there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually make my own from my canned tomatoes over the summer. But when I run out, I try to use the Giada tomatoe and basil sauce... yummmm beats Prego hands down. (Prego flavor reminds me of Chef Boy R Dee ravioli in a can!)


    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.