Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Energizing Smoothie

Our daughter, Beth, has been making an energizing smoothie for breakfast for several years. Beth told me that the smoothie works with any two veggies and three fruits. She always uses kale since it is such a superfood. Then uses almost any vegetable like carrots, cabbage and cucumbers (another superfood) and whatever fruit she has around. 

When we visited her a few weeks ago, she made me one of her smoothies…wow…what a kick in the butt of energy did it provide!!!  I really liked the smoothie and wanted to duplicate it.

Since we don’t have a blender or food processor I started researching for a good blender that would do a good job of grinding up the veggies.  That’s when I found Ninja Master Prep Professional.  It’s a food processor with two bowl sizes and a blender.  It has a removable motor that fits on top of the bowls and blender. I was telling my friend, Lory, about it and she said she had one.  So I borrowed it from her and took it home for a test drive.  It did a good job of mixing things up.  We made homemade salsa (recipe was in the instruction booklet with the machine) and it came out great. I figure I could use the medium size bowl for daily smoothies, the little bowl for salsa, hummus and stuff, and the big 48 oz. blender for those wonderful pineapple daiquiris.

OK, that’s what I wanted.  So when I brought it back to Lory we got online to see how much amazon.com wanted to for.  It was $41.99.  OK, that’s a pretty good price.  So after talking to Jim the next morning I was set to buy one…ah, ah when I went online it was $54.99, gads!  Did I want to pay that much?  I’ll wait to see if it goes down.  So I checked it the next day and it was $65.99, double gads!  Today the prices was $58.99 so maybe it will go down again tomorrow.  We’ll see, but I really want that blender/food processor!!!  Ninja QB900B Master Prep Revolutionary Food and Drink Maker

 

 

There is a Ninja Master Prep at Walmart but it’s 50 watts less, has only the large blender and small bowl for $39, but I want the professional model.

Hamilton Beach Hand Blender with Case (59780)

 

So this morning I was really wanting a smoothie but without a blender what to do?  Then I remembered Rich and Terri had given me an immersion wand for a birthday present a few years ago.  Would it work?  Would it grind the veggies sufficiently?  Let’s find out.  I used a tall, slender storage container and put in some apple cider, yogurt, a carrot, a leaf of kale, a few strawberries, a banana and a palmful of blueberries.  Turn on the immersion wand and whiz away. 

It came out pretty good…pretty chewy as the bits weren’t ground up completely, but it tasted good.  And about 10 minutes after drinking it I got such a rush of energy I started cleaning house like crazy.

Mission accomplished!

So I’ll continue to use the immersion wand to make my daily smoothies until the Ninja Professional blender goes down in price and I buy it. 

Remember, you are loved.

5 comments:

  1. Amazon's annoying that way. Once you've looked at something & don't buy it right away, the price will be higher next time you look. Same thing with Dell. Look again on a computer that isn't on your network (friend's, library's) and the lower price will probably show up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from sunny Chesapeake VA, We are going to be getting a small RV sometime in June. I see yu are traveling with dogs, we will be trying to bring our two med size dogs with us. ANy advise or links about how to do this. What do you do if you want to go to a museum or something? Ours is a driveable, we wont have a seperate car.....by the way the smoothie sounds like a good idea. We will be trying to figure out food, camping all of it..a new adventure! Holly & Dave Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, when we want to go to a tourist attraction we put our dogs in separate plastic pet kennels inside our RV. They are good for about 6-8 hours alone. We carry water for the dogs with us in the truck when we travel and walk and water them every 3-4 hours. Otherwise, life for pets in RV are just like being in a "stick and brick" house. Glad you enjoy our blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where in the world would you find Kale in or around South Fork? I would also like to see a little more detailed recipe for the smoothie if you have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan, I hope Rainbow Grocery has some or I'll try Jack's in Del Norte. Any greens work. I'll put up a more detailed recipe in today's blog post. It really is good.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.