Friday, April 22, 2011

Smoothie Recipe

A couple of readers asked for a more detailed recipe for the energy smoothies I’ve been making, so here goes.

Beth, our daughter, said to use ANY two vegetables and any three fruits, add a splash of water or fruit juice, put all together in a blender and give it a whiz.  The fruits completely masks the taste of the veggies, IMHO.

More specifically, you want to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of each item I’d guess. Cut up the items a bit to make it easier on your blender. Some of the vegetables I have used are:

Kale, I always use as it’s a big “Super Food”
Broccoli
Cucumber
Carrot
Zucchini 
Yellow Squash 

The fruits I use are:

Strawberries - any berry works well
Blueberries (frozen-it chills the smoothie)
Banana (I use a whole one)
Kiwi - a “Super Food”
Mango
As summer comes I’ll use cantaloupe and honeydew

I make my own yogurt and always add a half a cup to my smoothie but that’s a personal choice.  If your blender will handle it you can add some ice to make the smoothie colder. 

Really any vegetable or fruit will work. I’ve used leftover green beans, cabbage, peas and spinach in fact.  A smoothie is just an easy way to get in the NINE fruits and vegetables we are suppose to eat every day.  The fruits really do make the smoothie sweet and very delicious, so you can use any vegetable and the fruits cover the taste.  You can always add a little agave nectar or honey for more sweetness.

I hope this helps.  Give it a try and make it to your own liking.  Let me know about your experience making a healthy smoothie.

Remember, you are loved!

1 comment:

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.