Thursday, April 14, 2011

Busmen’s Holiday-Both of Us

Yesterday Jim and I both had Busmen’s Holidays of sorts.  My dear friend and computer guru, Lory Sanchez, asked me to come along on a client call yesterday.  As many of you know Lory has taught me most everything I know about computers.  She was my boss when I first got into computers back in 1998 with the Alamosa School District.  She is the one who encouraged me to take a correspondence course on PC Repair which enabled me to get a tech job at the public library.  She is generous with her knowledge and has a heart of pure gold!

The clients were Rita and Jerry Phillips who live in Trinchera Ranch outside of Fort Garland…it was a very pretty drive into the mountains.  Here’s the views of Mt. Blanca from their home…breathtaking!

CIMG7365

CIMG7352

         

 

 

 

 

 

CIMG7370

Jerry wanted to network their two computers and share files along with some general technology questions we were able to answer and some helpful software we downloaded for them.  Lory got on one computer and I got on the other and we worked together….like old times…it was fun getting my hands back in. Here’s Lory teaching how to use some software.

CIMG7367        CIMG7369             

Rita is a very accomplished quilter.  She makes and sells beautiful cloth purses and totes…well, you know me and totes….I had to order one for myself.  The purses and totes all have multiple pockets on the inside so they are very versatile and handy to use.  Rita only charges $25 for the totes and $40 for the purses.

CIMG7356 CIMG7363
See how the pockets hold all our “stuff”
CIMG7357 CIMG7364
Inside pockets
CIMG7358 CIMG7361
Tote insides
CIMG7359 CIMG7362
Love the color coordination

You can even bring her your own fabric or tell her what colors you want and she’ll pick them out from her large fabric stash.

CIMG7354Fabric stash CIMG7353
This is what I ordered
CIMG7368
Rita’s very well organized sewing room
   
After we finished, Lory and I stopped at All Gon restaurant in Fort Garland.  They specialize in homemade Mexican and Italian food and serve good pizza, Lory said. We decided on soup and salad and what a large selection they had for a small salad bar.  They had great tasting posole and green chile and chicken chili. 
CIMG7379 CIMG7371

They also serve homemade fudge and have an innovative item called Fudge Shots!

CIMG7374 CIMG7375
CIMG7376
Look at some of the names. Kickin’& Screaming had red chile flakes Smile with tongue out
CIMG7378
Lory with her Chocolate & Coconut -I got Coffee & Crème…wonderful!!!

Jim’s Busman’s Holiday happened when his brother, Don, called asking for Jim’s help at a large grass fire they were fighting outside of town.  They needed water so Jim went to the grocery store and bought ten cases of water and then drove out to the fire and passed the water out.  He did some fetch and carry things that were needed and was gone about five hours.  He had a ball!!!

We found out this morning Don was out on the fire till 3 a.m. and some firefighters stayed all night.  The fire turned into a mutual aid affair involving other towns in the area sending their firefighters to help out.  We’ve had such high wind storms for the last two weeks the fire could easily get away from them without their diligence.

Did you know that 71% of all firefighters are volunteers???  That’s something to ponder.  Unless you live in a large city your fire department is probably run by volunteers who leave their place of work or their warm home to care for you and yours!  They all deserve our thanks and appreciation.  I know I am very proud of Jim and his 23 years of volunteer service with the fire department.

Well, we have a double-header scheduled today with the Rockies playing the Mets.  So far we have had a great start for the season as the Rockies are 8 - 2.  So much fun to watch!!!  Today’s games are not being broadcasted so we are listening to the game on our XM satellite radio.  So far, so good 5 to 2.

Remember, you are loved.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful totes. Can I have it delivered all the way to Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute totes and so colorful! Those fudge shots look good.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.