Saturday, April 23, 2011

Got a Perm

I had a perm in my hair continuously for some 57 years. About seven years ago I stopped and used a curling iron and gels to create a hairdo.  Then when we became fulltime RVers four years ago, I had my hair cut ultra short for ease of maintenance.

We usually boondock (camp without utilities) a good part of the year and at the campgrounds we stay at during the summer, you can’t use your generator till 8 a.m.  Well, Jim and I get up from 4 a.m. to 7 a.m. and we’re up and ready to go to work before 8 a.m. So I needed a hairdo that was pretty much “get up and go” without the use of a curling iron.

After four years of looking like a very round face pixie I decided to use my curling iron and create a bunch of curls before I went out shopping.  I received three compliments in three hours, so I decided to go get a perm.

With so little hair I hated to pay $50 for a perm, but then I found the barbershop Jim goes to was featuring perms for $29.95; a fast phone call yesterday got me an appointment for later in the day.

I really felt for the poor guys in the shop waiting to get their hair cut, with me covered in pink perm rods, when it was time to put on the perm lotion!  Oh, ugh, the smell!!! When the time came I announced “Sorry, Gentlemen”.  I’m sure they weren’t expecting to witness a woman getting a perm in their manly barbershop…one of the last male establishments.

After an hour and a half here is the finished product.

Perm 2         Perm 1

Now remember this is the first day so the curl is tight; it will relax in a couple of days.  I didn’t want the “nursing home” curl and I wanted more than a body curl.

So what do you think?  (Disregard the nose pinches from my glasses) Do you like it better?  It sure is easier to live with. Should I continue to perm my hair in the future? 

Remember, you are loved.

7 comments:

  1. I like it a lot. So I vote yes - kep the curl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I'd say it was well worth the cost and the wait. You go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good on you. Any perms I ever had were all kinky & fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it - and I, too, have had perms for most of the last 30 years. Reminds me - I need to get another one soon - getting kinda flat!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.