Saturday, January 7, 2012

What we’ve been eating lately

We’ve been cooking a lot at home lately…OK we’ve eaten out for lunches also…but lots of “from scratch” cooking for dinners. 

We bought a bone in ham and after the main dinner with the Mossman’s, we had several ham and eggs for breakfast, Jim had a couple ham sandwiches for lunch and then I made a big pot of pinto beans with the ham bone.

Next I made a pot of posole … it came out so good.

CIMG9116

I also tested that fish batter I used on the trout the other day on a lunch of eggplant.  The batter made the eggplant nice and crispy.

                                    CIMG9179

The other day we went into Yuma to do laundry and decided to have lunch at Steiner’s European Deli, which we have seen advertised on local TV. 
CIMG9189

They had a lot of different brats and hams. Then I spied a childhood favorite of mine---headcheese.  My mom use to make headcheese at home using bits and pieces of different meats in clear gelatin.  She put it in a loaf pan in the refrigerator and then sliced it about 1/4”-1/2” thick and served it with a touch of apple cider vinegar and a slice of rye bread.  I bought a couple of slices of Steiner’s headcheese for old times sake.

CIMG9096

That’s what we have been eating lately.  What’s your favorite “comfort food”?

Remember, you are loved.

3 comments:

  1. My Grandma made headcheese but it looked a lot different than that. And I know she didn't use any gelatin. If I remember correctly, she mixed all the little bits & pieces of meat with the meat broth, packed it tightly into a pan, weighted it down with something heavy and chilled it in the fridge. The broth gelled and held it all together. I don't think it was one of my favorites (I was less than 10 yrs. old) but I remember her liverwurst fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me hungry for a good home cooked meal. Some of our favorite comfort foods included meat loaf, and roast beef and yourshire pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been eating more at home too. Sometimes we out out so much it gets to seem like a chore. Thats when we know its time for a big pot of ham and beans and some home made cornbread. That is probably comfort food for Paul and I both.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.