Friday, May 21, 2010

Gumbo Dinner

CIMG4392

While traveling through Louisiana winter 2008 I bought some “Louisiana” brand Cajun food mixes – gumbo, shrimp Creole, and Cajun etouffee’.

 

The other night it was cold and overcast so I thought a hot, spicy meal was in order. I picked the Cajun Gumbo Mix, which is really just the dehydrated roux, spices and broth.  But taking 45 minutes to properly brown the roux is a pain in the “you know what” so not having to do that step is a big plus. 

I sautéed onions, celery, carrots, and green peppers; browned up some pieces of chicken thighs, let it simmer for a bit then added frozen okra, some large shrimp and a bit of Tabasco. Served it over a bowl of rice.  Well, boys and girls, that was one of the finest meals I’ve ever had.  I have to hand it to the makers of the Louisiana brand of mixes….it was mighty fine.  Take a peek……

CIMG4391

You add 2 quarts of water to the mix, so it makes a goodly some.  Jim and I ate and ate and we still have enough for lunch today.

A lot of people from Texas and Oklahoma summer here in South Fork and the local grocery store cares a lot of regional foods and brands from Texas.  Luckily, Louisiana brand mixes are some of the items they carry, so I can make this gumbo again.  I can’t wait to try out the other two mixes I have.

Remember, you are loved.

2 comments:

  1. Boy that looks gooooood! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look's mighty good. May have you bring some of that when you hear our way
    Jim M.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.