Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Tribute to My:Mom-Mother’s Day 2012

This is one of the earliest photographs I have of my mother, Victoria.  She was born in 1909 and died at 63.

albumn2

Here’s the earliest photo I have of myself in the upper left corner. I may have been 12-18 month old, along with my sister, Evelyn, who is four years older than me.

albumn5

As I remember the story, my mom’s father worked on a steamship in Poland where he and his wife lived.  The first two times his wife became pregnant and was about six months along, he brought her to the USA so the children could be born American citizens.  Then when my mother  was three months old she and her mother returned to Poland.  The same thing happened when her sister, Sally, was born.  My mother and Aunt Sally remained in Poland until they were about 16 years old, when first Sally and then my mother moved to America to work. 

My mother worked first as a domestic (as they use to say) in a rich family’s home in Massachusetts and then in an insane asylum. She met my dad in New York and they ran a large dance hall where then popular bands played during the 1930’s.  Then dad worked in a war plant in the 1940’s somewhere in Connecticut I think.  Come 1946 the family took a vacation to Florida in a Model A Ford pulling a black travel trailer.  That’s where I figure I got my first taste of RVing that never left me.

albumn6

Dad and Mom bought a restaurant and used Mom’s recipes to become a successful business. I remember when we got busy at the restaurant sometimes my dad would take my mom in his arms and they would dance the waltz around the tables in order to break the tension in the atmosphere.  Customers would laugh and smile and relax to wait for their table.

My brother, Mike, came along in 1951 as a little surprise and after having two girls, Mike was my parents pride and joy, and was spoiled silly by my sister and I.

albumn17

Mom was quiet and soft spoken.  She had sparling blue eyes and a compassionate smile, which was always on her lips. She was every bit a proper lady and loved her fancy lingerie. I never heard my mom speak ill of anyone. She was always encouraging us children in any of our endeavors. Even though she was pretty much a traditionalist, she encouraged me when I wanted to become a chemist by buying me a chemistry set for my twelfth birthday.

Although the restaurant was opened every night, Mom would steal away to attend every concert or play my sister and I performed in. Afterwards she would take us out for ice cream where she would always drink seltzer water….that always perplexed me. 

Mom didn’t talk much but we always knew we were loved and cared for.  Sometimes it was a sudden hug or she would take our face between her hands, look us in the eye and say “I love you”.  We always felt special.

I miss you all the time, Mom, but especially on Mother’s Day.

Remember, you are loved.

8 comments:

  1. Awesome tribute to your mom. Hers was a truly unique story, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story about your mom. She would be proud. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Ho9w nice that was. I wish I had done something like that! Great Stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Hugs to you and all of the otherr Moms out there! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed reading about your mom and family history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing special moments and memories of your mom (and family). I love the pictures of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. butterbean carpenterMay 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM

    Howdy B&J,
    I'm so glad y'all got good help this year.. Maybe Jim can get time to drive his
    Favorite Vehicle around town and WATCH OUT FOR THE TOURISTS!! Thanks, for sharing
    your tribute to your mom; it was heartfelt and lovingly told.. Remember y'all are
    loved too, also!!! Keep it coool this summer and we may be up there!!!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.