Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Girls are Here

CIMG7694

We fondly call Linda B. and Linda S. “The Girls”.  Everyone thinks we are talking about our daughters, but that’s OK, because we consider them “family” anyway.  We met Linda X Two in Coffeyville, Kansas, we were were all working for amazon.com back in 2008, and have kept in contact. 

Since then we have met up with them in Florida, Alabama and the latest in Louisiana this last February.  They are workampers working as independent contractors for AGS/Texas Advertising who publish campground maps.  They’ve just started with them, but are doing very well.

The Lindas had a week in between jobs in Arizona and Wyoming, so they are spending it with us in South Fork.  Although they are staying at a campground 2 miles down the road, they spend most of their days with us, which we love.

CIMG7686

We went to Creede and drove the 17 mile Bachelor Loop up in the mountains seeing the remains of the silver mines.  It is very interesting. Saw the “cribs” outside of town where the “ladies of the evening” practice their trade…so to speak.

 

The drive is very pretty with scaffolding from “way back when” used to shore up the sides of the mountain and then we saw the vistas from way up high where you can see for miles….normally.  You will see in these photos that the smoke from the Las Animas, NM, fires have come up this way and creates a haze.

CIMG7683 CIMG7689
CIMG7690 CIMG7691

Jim had opened up the top of the jeep so we could see better from the back seat.  It was nice to be in a “convertible”.

CIMG7687     CIMG7688

We stopped at the Creede Cemetery so the girls could look around.  Robert (Bob) Ford is buried here…he’s the one that killed Jessie James.

CIMG7693

When we got back to Creede I had to bring The Lindas to visit the CIMG7698Creede Olive Oil Company, as they like to cook vegetarian and I know they would enjoy sampling the olive oils and balsamic vinegars.  Linda B. stayed outside with Jim, but Linda S. and I had a ball checking out all the flavors.  I found a new favorite, Fig Balsamic Vinegar!!!  Oh, my was that intense. My mind raced with all the things I could put it on..grilled fish, fruit salad, my finger…..

Linda S. bought a bottle of Roasted Garlic Olive Oil, two bottles of the 18 year Balsamic Vinegar and an Espresso Balsamic Vinegar. So deep and rich it was.  I bought myself my birthday present (which I do every year) and got the Roasted Garlic Olive Oil and the 18 year Balsamic Vinegar….next time I’ll get the Fig.

CIMG7682

Yesterday we had the girls over for a BBQ dinner along with Dawna and Charlie. This is another tradition we do every year with they are camping with us. Jim made some amazing pork ribs and the girls brought over some Morningstar Riblets that we wrapped in foil and put on the grill…they came out good also.  The Lindas brought over a bunch of cut up marinated veggies that we grilled up, so we had quite a spread.  I put some of the Roasted Garlic Olive Oil on halves of pan squash and it was delicious!

We had only one space empty last night in the campground, so hopefully we’ll have a full house for the 4th of July.  We are expecting the Abeyta family to come up today from Espanola and they will be here a week, so more friends to spend time with.  The Abeytas do a lot of dutch oven cooking, so I’m excited for Jim to learn how to use the one I got him for Father’s Day. 

We’ve really been blessed this year with many of our friends coming by to see us.  We are really anticipating the Mossman’s arrival later this month…as we seem to be attached at the hip for the duration….I kid Jim Mossman and say we are going to travel together for the next 15 years….he responds with “oh, I thought it was just till 2015”…big kidder!

Well, The Lindas should be arriving any time now and we are going to travel over Wolf Creek Pass, see the Continental Divide, drive down the twisting and turning road towards Pagosa Springs and stop at Treasure Falls. 

What are you going to do today?

Remember, you are loved.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool blog post, Bobbie!! I'll have to try to remember some of that stuff for us to do next time we're in that area! Would also love to hear what the Linda's think about working for AGS after a while! I've thought about that job myself a time or two. Have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved driving the Bachelor Loop! We did it with my sister & brrother-in-law who are house-bound and they were fascinated. Love that part of Colorado! Glad you're having such a wonderful summer with all of your friends. Hugs, J&C

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.