Monday, January 10, 2011

USS Alabama

CIMG5652

A few days ago (honestly, I can’t remember when) we drove to Mobile to tour the USS Alabama.  Actually Linda and I stayed in the truck while Jim M., Jim C. Rich and Terri toured the ship.  I don’t do ladders and tight spaces.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the ship:

Alabama was commissioned in 1942 and served in World War II in the Atlantic and Pacific theaters. She was decommissioned in 1947 and assigned to the reserve duty. She was retired in 1962. In 1964, Alabama was taken to Mobile Bay and opened as a museum ship the following year.

This battleship is permanently anchored in USS Alabama Memorial Park in Mobile Bay along with the submarine, USS Drum.

CIMG5608 CIMG5628
CIMG5630 CIMG5627

Jim was taken by the various departments represented – note many men bunked where they worked.

CIMG5625 CIMG5626
CIMG5623 CIMG5642
CIMG5617 CIMG5636

Terri said the areas were really close quarters, and incredibly little space to walk and move around.  Here’s one of the walk areas and another with Terri walking through it…really narrow.  Poor Jim M. had to go in sideways.

CIMG5637

            CIMG5638

The sleep births were really confining.

CIMG5619

Like I said, Linda and I stayed in the truck and read our Kindles, talked and napped.  We enjoyed ourselves!

Today the gang went to the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.  Again Linda and I stayed home.  She has been fighting a cold for three weeks now and just not feeling up to it.  Me, I just don’t enjoy aviation and ship museums.  I know, I know, I should, I just don’t. I’d rather spend the day alone, read on my Kindle, watch TV, nap and enjoy some alone time. 

Remember, you are loved.

2 comments:

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.