Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Jim's Birthday

Here is a photo of Jim with his "birthday pie"; an Apple Crumb Pie that I made him as his present. Like a lot of "old married couples" we don't exchange gifts any more; but we do cook special dishes for each other to celebrate special events like anniversaries and birthdays. The pie was my birthday gift to Jim.

I took Jim out to dinner tonight at Lanning's Downtown Grill to celebrate his birthday. What a neat place! It is casual, has a bar and very reasonably priced. Jim had the Chicken Fried Steak , which was with real meat-not processed mystery meat and homemade with fresh breading. Even the fries were real and fresh; not processed. I had Fantail Fried Shrimp - EIGHT of them for $8.98 with bacon and onion seasoned green beans and a baked sweet potato. All mighty tasty.
They had some unusual offerings also like chicken gizzards, liver & onions and on Saturdays their special is Hoppin Nuts ????? you ask - it's Frog Legs and Rocky Mountain Oysters!!!! Sure wish we didn't work on Saturday nights as both Jim and I are partial to Rocky Mountain Oysters. If they are not your favs, they also have a full menu with all the normal fare and nothing over $9.98 - even a 8 oz. sirloin steak for $8.98. They are open for breakfast also.
Tomorrow we go back to work and we will work Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, also as the holiday pay is good. Express Pro, the temp agency we actually work for, is providing turkey and gravy and we are providing all the side dishes at a dinner at the local armory. So we will eat our dinner at noon and go to work at 5:30 pm till 4 am.
We have only four weeks to go; but that sounds like too long, so Jim came up with it is only 16 more days of work! That sounds like a lot less somehow. So only 16 more work days and then we will head for Florida for the winter; staying at our Escapees RV Club park in Bushnell. Several of our friends will also be at Bushnell so it will be fun...especially the 4 o'clock daily happy hours.
I was raised in Florida and so I want to go back to my old hometown, Lake Worth, check out my high school, church, and see how things have changed since I was last there some 15 years ago. While in Florida Jim and I are going to try to take a cruise as they certainly are inexpensive now-a-days.
That's the update for this week - check in next week for more! Remember - you are loved!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Jim!! and stay warm you guys....I'll bet the Florida sunshine is going to feel mighty good. C & J

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.