Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sock Knitting and other projects

I have this problem when I knit socks…..I have what is called “Second Sock Syndrome”. This means I happily knit the first sock but when it’s finished I dread having to do it all over again for the second sock.  This is a common problem with many knitters.

I never did master using double-pointed needles customarily used in knitting socks. Working with four different sticks were just too hard for me to get the hang of.

 

So I found the method that was easier for me and that was using two circular knitting needles…dividing the sock in two parts thus knitting the top of the sock first, and then the bottom part knitted in the round.
(This is from yarnymari.wordpress.com)

One solution is to plan on making two pairs of socks.  You finish sock 1 of pattern one, then go to sock 1 of pattern 2.  It will be a different color and pattern and you excited about the change.  Then you knit sock 2 of pattern one (another change) and then finish up sock 2 of pattern 2.  It’s the changing of pattern and colors that keeps you going and you eventually finish two pairs of socks.

CIMG7491

The way I choose to solve my problem was to knit both socks at the same time on two circular needles, using two balls of yarn.  Here is the start of my current project.  I’m using this book as my guide…in case any of you are inclined to join me.

It’s going pretty good.  I’ve finished the cuff and am on the tedious part of the leg; but it is mindless continuous knit stitch so I can do it while watching TV at night and it occupies my hands.  Once I get the hang of doing two socks at a time I’ll try patterns with more design work in them.

I haven’t had a knit project on needles since February/March when I knitted Linda Mossman, Terri Deacon, Nancy Doyle and me red and purple hats to wear in Mississippi and Louisiana.  I also knitted Linda and Terri fun fur scarves.  Sorry I didn’t get a photo of Nancy’s hat.

CIMG5664 CIMG5827
CIMG5775 CIMG5776
CIMG5797 CIMG5798

So, what projects are you working on?

Remember, you are loved!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.