Friday, May 27, 2011

Flexitarian

This term is defined as being “almost vegetarian” and that is what I guess I have become.  I do take bites of Jim’s steak or hamburger and the other day I just could not resist the pork loin ribs Jim barbecued and had more than just a bite.  I’m thinking of having meat one day a week.

But last night I was good and made eggplant parmesan with pasta while Jim grilled himself a rib eye steak and baked potato. 

CIMG7493                  CIMG7494

I used Panko for the breading on the eggplant and it really made it crisp and crunchy….loved it!

I need to find recipes where I can just add meat to Jim’s version instead of making two separate meals every night.  Any suggestions out there that would accomplish that? 

I’ve thought of spaghetti with bunch of veggies and then add Italian sausage to Jim’s and then, of course, there is always stir-fry.  What else?

I took inspiration from NanC Tidball and usually make a salad for lunch every day.  This was yesterday’s fare….

CIMG7490

It contained lettuce, cucumber, carrots, cottage cheese, beets and leftover trout.  I’ve been using less and less dressing and have really enjoyed actually tasting the flavor of the vegetables.

Several people asked me for the recipe for the apple dessert from the other day so here it is.

CIMG7464

1 pie crust (refrigerated or homemade)
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1/2 - 3/4 c sugar
2 T cornstarch
1 t cinnamon
3-4 c thinly sliced apples
1 t sugar
   Prepare crust and place on foil-lined pizza pan.  Brush crust with some of the egg white to seal.
   Mix 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon.  Add apples; toss to coat well.  Spoon into center of crust, spreading to within 2 inches of edges.  Bring crust up over apples to form a border of about 2 inches, pleating crust as needed.  Brush edge of crust with remaining egg white; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
   Bake in preheated 425* oven 20 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown.

Remember, you are loved.

2 comments:

  1. Bobbie, as you know, I eat meat without restraint - but I like vegetarian meals, too. When I don't want to eat meat, I often make a vegetarian, grain or pasta based meal, then make a hunk of meat to go alongside for Odel. For instance:

    Polenta with red sauce and cheese for me; add grilled or steamed sauage for Odel.

    Vegetarian (with kidney beans) minestrone soup for me; heat and add to Odel's bowl pre-cooked, frozen, meatballs (chicken or beef).

    Pasta with beans, greens and tomatoes for me; a couple chicken thighs for him.

    Tonight I am having a new recipe, "Lemony Chickpea Stir-Fry" (with tofu) and will bake a couple of Costco's Panko Breaded Tilapia filets for Odel to have along with his.

    Another suggestion, if you like enchiladas: fill yours with a combination of well spiced, smooshed tofu, onions and cashews; fill his with chicken or ??? You can take them together.

    It is easy for Odel to grill himself a couple chicken thighs or sausage or a steak or fish to go along with whatever more complex "side" I am cooking, or I can microwave or quickly saute a single serving portion of any of those for him. Lucky for him, he likes to try new foods and interesting combinations (and actually eats vegetarian fairly frequently), so a mix of what new things I am trying plus a traditional hunk of meat pleases him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could do veggie(spicy beans)tacos and add the meat to Jim's tacos, Baked potatos with broccoli and cheese, grill a burger for Jim. Or do a three cheese tortalini with California veggi mix and cream of mushroom soup and cheese. Add in some chicken for Jim, or mix it up and put in the chicken at one end of the casserole for Jim serve with a salad. ~Susie~

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.