Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Quiet Time

Things have sure been quiet here the last three days…day and night. But I think it is the quiet before the storm, as we hear they are going to start fracing (pronounced fracking) this week.  That will definitely keep us racing around as other ate keepers have told us.  The trucks will be lining up to deliver sand a water for the fracing operation.

Our big tower lights went off again last night about midnight, so I had to rely on the smaller stand lights to see outside.  I didn’t have any traffic last night so it didn’t really matter.  But tonight the mechanic came out and fixed the problem, so we’re back in business.

Jim has to shut off the big generator once a day to check the oil level and we started just leaving the generator off for half an hour or so.  Boy is it quiet without that 15,000 watt generator running.  We actually heard birds chirping and singing…that was awesome.  Hearing birds sing is one of my most favorite things to do!!! We have started to sit outside after I wake up and have a cup of coffee and just enjoy the silence in the afternoon before we go inside and fix dinner. 

Yes, I eat dinner as my first meal; sometime around midnight I snack on a piece of fruit or cheese and crackers, and then end my day by having breakfast…yes, it’s pretty much backwards to everyone else.

Our weather has been pretty nice lately, so off came the raincoat and back on with our tee shirts.  We have to keep several different weights of coats available as the weather changes so often.  One day we started the day off with the heater on and late in the afternoon had to put the air conditioner.  Radical temps in one day.

It’s 1 a.m. and time for yogurt and fruit for my mid-day meal. 

Remember, you are loved.

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought about the noise level... I, too would miss hearing the birds. No matter... your job still sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a lovely response from Macho today. Such a sweet man.

    I guess everything would be backwards for you when you are working the hours you are. Nice to hear the birds isn't it. Glad you get a chance too. So...how's the caliche? Dave said it should be like gumbo, very simular to Alberta soil. Thick like tar when wet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of when I had to work Shift work before I retired. After having done that most of my Career it still bothered me but Kathy hated it especially when I was on midnights.

    It's about time.

    http://ricknkathyrousseau.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments so please take a moment and say HI or something so I know someone is reading this thing.